Cartridge tilting is an action performed on cartridge-based systems to create otherwise impossible glitches.
In the middle of the game, slowly and surely wiggle the cartridge and move it from side to side. Eventually, the cartridge will enter a state where its not fully connected to the console but not completely disconnected. Thus, enough information from the cartridge is blocked to glitch up the game, but not enough to make it freeze.
- Doing this can cause some games to erase their save data.
- Doing this can ruin your cartridge.
- Doing this can freeze your game.
- The popular internet meme Get-down shows the effects of Cartridge tilting during a game of GoldenEye 007.
- If this is done to Donkey Kong 64, it will erase your saved data.
- Doing this with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time allows access to some debug menus, one of which says "I LOVE YOU", as demonstrated in this video.